An Inside Job

Saturday, October 5, 2013

Tribute to Doris Dolan and the Ravens

Today I would like to honor  Doris Dolan Penuudass 

Raven steals the Sun
Raven Painting - Raven and the Sun

Doris found me  when I was at a crossroads and looking for direction.  I was young and foolish.  I did not realize nor appreciate what a gift she was. I treated her with indifference and disrespect.  I recall thinking she was just a crazy old woman that kept knocking on my door.

Doris was member of the Indian Homemakers,  an organization that focused on the needs of First Nations women.    She took me to  diners and paid my workshops.   She showed me how I could be part of a healing and a movement. 
 
Doris taught me to look for solutions. She shared but didn't dwell on her grief or  personal pains. One of her greatest pains was the lose of her grand daughter to the streets of Vancouver.   The grand daughter was never found.  Doris searched for ways to prevent loosing children to the streets and she searched for women to do that work. She believed we had to start healing in the communities by developing strong women.    

She asked me over and over to do work with the communities.   I was stubborn and repeatedly declined.   Doris called me Raven Child.  In her words, "You know the medicine but play with it like a child". I frustrated her but she persisted.

Doris supported education and creative expression. She directed me to learn from other elders and incorporate what I learned with my formal education.    She wrote and encouraged me to write and to paint.  She taught me to be silent and listen which wasn't an easy task. 

Doris  directed me to go to the north and work with the people.  I left my full time nursing position and through a rather mysterious coincidence I found myself working on remote reserves and in northern towns.  I met many wonderful elders and heard heart wrenching stories of abuse and shame.   I did workshops with women on and off reserve, at native friendship centres, books stores  and transition houses. I became a  drug and alcohol counsellor and then director of the Nenqayni Youth Treatment Centre.   In that ten year journey I met many people who knew Doris. They told me how she would just appear and be there to help them when they most needed support.

Today when I think of Doris  I smile and wonder how she ever put up with my arrogance and nonsense.  

Linda Diane Taylor
----------------------------------
Doris had a passion for Ravens.   Some say Doris had the ability to shape shift into a Raven.  I don't know if it is possible but I do know that when I see a Raven I think of Doris and all that she taught me.   If I really pay attention to that  moment with the Raven I always get an inner direction.  
Mystic Ravens
Raven in Pastel - Totem

Doris Dolan was born on the Semiahmoo Reserve, August 17, 1930.  She lived on and off reserve in White Rock and working tirelessly for  the people until her passing on July 22. 1993. 

Linda Diane Taylor

Creating Art My Way

No comments:

Post a Comment